Fall 2018 Update



The last full month of my first semester of grad school is already here. It has definitely taken some getting used to, but I’m hitting my stride and enjoying it more with each passing week.

For research, the largest development since my last post on the subject was the change in funding direction. I was previously pursuing a NASA Oklahoma EPSCoR Travel Grant which would have funded a visit to Marshall (or another NASA center) to communicate with engineers and researchers on collaborative research projects. This fell through because of a missed deadline and is unfortunate because the funding for my second year was dependent on a follow-up proposal to that Travel Grant, a Research Initiation Grant (RIG). EPSCoR operates on a 12-month schedule, so while I could apply for another travel opportunity next year, the follow-up RIG that would have funded me wouldn’t be an option until 2020 by which I will have graduated.

That missed deadline was only last week, and since then I was working around the clock on a NASA Space Technology Research Fellowship proposal due November 1st (yesterday). My proposal title was “Development of Mass-Optimized Pressure Vessels for Rocket Propulsion Systems using Additive Manufacturing.” I hope to explore how propellant tanks and combustion chambers may be 3D printed using new additive manufacturing techniques that use fiberglass strands or the atomic diffusion additive manufacturing (ADAM) technique.

The proposal included a personal statement, project narrative, academic coursework plan, CV, transcripts, and letters of recommendation. It was a tough week of crunch time, but I got it all submitted in time and felt good about the documents. Regardless of whether I receive the fellowship (will be announced in April), this is the start of my thesis work, so it was one heck of a way to jump start that process. After working non-stop on it for seven days, I took the evening off to cook orange chicken and watch Gravity with Sam.

Outside of research, it has been an enjoyable fall semester. The weather has felt more like autumn more than any I can previously remember in Oklahoma. I have been working on a two-stage rocket project of mine, Mach Wave 2-Stage. I bought the Nike-Tomahawk kit back in May, and as it sat in my house in Stillwater all summer, I drew up assembly instructions and a flight plan while in Alabama. I flew the sustainer (upper stage) by itself at Airfest in September, and have since built the booster and transition, prepared the electronics, and tested all separation and recovery events on the ground in my backyard. 


This has been by far the most complex project I’ve ever worked on. Launching one rocket from the ground is sometimes a challenge by itself, but to now launch one rocket on top of a second while it is in the air moving, each stage with its own set of altimeters, timers, trackers, parachutes, ejection charges, stability requirements, and motor ignition systems, it became a labor of love.

This past Sunday I launched the unpainted rocket on a J270W in a boosted dart configuration, meaning there was no motor in the second stage. The purpose was to test out the separation of the two stages in the air, make sure I could ignite a second motor in the air (I did this by connecting an ematch and having it fire in the air rather than lighting a new motor), and confirm recovery events were functional on both stages. In the booster I had my RRC3 altimeter, an MT4 timer for the separation event, and a BeepX siren tracker. The sustainer was spatially constrained, so I used the rocketry team’s TeleMega for primary recovery, staging events, and tracking and an EasyMini altimeter for secondary recovery. All in all, 5 electronic devices were more than I was used to, but they all worked beautifully. Back in April, the team’s Jolly Logic Chute Release lawn-darted from 8000ft but still appeared functional. It hasn’t been tested in flight yet, so I also had a Jolly Logic wrapped around a second parachute in the booster, but I forgot to turn on the Jolly Logic prior to launch, so that part was inconclusive.
Sam made fun of me for wearing safety glasses...

...and for using checklists

How I feel about twist-and-tie switches

Prior to launch



At launch, everything happened as it was supposed to in the air. Unfortunately, a fin cracked on landing which was a surprise since the ground was soft and muddy, and I’ve never had a fin joint fracture before. It turns out all the epoxy on the motor mount tube ran down one side, so very little adhered to the fin itself. I managed to pull the fin free, so a little sanding and new epoxy fillets will fix it right up. Sam will also help me fiberglass the joint to keep it from happening again.

It was a great first flight of the whole system. I have another 4 flights planned of this rocket. The next will be in February staging an I284W to an H73J, hoping to reach 3000ft and making sure all systems work on a subscale level. Third flight will be a J415W to a J350W to 12000ft. The fourth will be at LDRS in September on a K375NW to a J570W to 18000ft. Finally, the 5th flight will be a K1103X to an I59N. The last one will be fun because the I59N in the sustainer is an end-burning Warp-9 motor that burns for 8 seconds, carrying the rocket from 3000ft to 8000ft and then coasting to 12000ft. This project has been so exciting to plan out, and since all the systems have so far worked, it will be just a matter of flying it higher each time to practice staging to greater altitudes.

On another note, Sam and I attended a couple concerts in October. We saw Barns Courtney and The Wombats perform in Tulsa. I’ve been going to concerts like these all through college where tickets are for general admission and take place in a single ballroom-style venue without seats or assigned areas. They’re affordable and feel far more personal than the amphitheater/stadium style performances. A few weeks later we saw Arkells and St. Lucia in OKC. The Arkells were particularly awesome. They’re a Canadian group from Ontario, and lead singer, Max Kerman, sang and danced in the crowd (we brushed elbows), changed the lyrics of “Leather Jacket” to say, “Oklahoma accent” instead of “southern accent,” and after asking, “Who can play some basic chords on guitar?” brought on some random kid from the crowd onto stage who rocked out with them for a song. St. Lucia also did great, and I caught one of Jean Grobler’s guitar picks. Concerts definitely make for the most memorable evenings I’ve had in college. 
Arkells

St. Lucia




That’s the majority of the last two months. I’ll be flying to Germany and Austria for Christmas to visit my German family and host families in Austria. I haven’t been back since 2016 and early 2015, respectively, so I’m very excited to reunite with them. It’s never an easy decision to miss the holidays with my parents and sister, but I expect to spend a week with them after New Year’s.

Comments