Weekend Visit to the Space Coast



This past weekend I took a trip with several of my fellow interns to Florida’s Space Coast. We found $40 flights (round trip) from Atlanta to Orlando, and then rented a car for the weekend to drive to Cocoa Beach. Sharing a hotel room, we spent four nights on the coast, but the largest motivator for our trip was to see the launch of SpaceX’s CRS-15 mission from SLC-40 in Cape Canaveral. We didn’t have any hang-ups with our flight, and while we didn’t sleep more than about 45 minutes that night, we were able to get on base to watch the launch from only 3 miles away.

This was my first rocket launch to witness in person, and the flight was SpaceX’s final launch on a Falcon 9 Block IV first stage booster. Liftoff took place at 05:42 EST. It took a good 15 seconds before we began to hear anything. I started to think there wouldn’t be a sound, but then it grew and got so loud. It was like a firecracker explosion, but continuous for over a minute as the Falcon 9 climbed. The flame was almost blinding at this pre-dawn launch. Just before MECO, the rocket’s exhaust plume caught the sunlight and a halo seemed to fill the sky. It turned rainbow, and even after the second stage was confirmed in orbit, it shone so brightly. That was what surprised me most, that even though that bright point in the sky that was so clearly visible, was in orbit. The spacecraft is seeing the complete darkness of space, the curve of the earth, yet it shone like a beacon in the sky, easily seen on the surface. I understand the ISS does this too, but this was a space capsule I just saw sitting atop a rocket on the ground just minutes earlier.

That moment already made the entire trip worth it, and it couldn’t have been better (well, maybe with a booster landing attempt). We all returned from Merritt Island to eat breakfast and then return to the hotel to sleep the rest of the morning.

We spent Saturday at the KSC Visitor Center which was essentially a space amusement parks with space-themed kiosks, restaurants, and exhibits. The Atlantis exhibit was a little over the top, but the bus tours of the VAB, LC-39a, and LC-39b leading to the Saturn V museum were solid. 


Sunday was beach day with us renting surfboards and paddleboards. I’d never surfed but managed to catch a wave and stand up on my second try. Unfortunately, too much time in the sun that afternoon without enough to drink hit me with a case of sun poisoning even though I didn’t get sunburned. I’d never heard of the term before (not even in all my years in scouting), so I was skeptical that sun poisoning was actually a thing, but I wasn’t denying that I was sick.



The return journey Monday was rough, but I was well enough to go to work a few hours that same day. I felt back to normal Tuesday, and week 6/10 wrapped up uneventfully. I’m typing this from the Huntsville airport as our intern group prepares to fly to Cincinnati for the AIAA Joint Propulsion and Energy Conference this morning.

Comments