Level 1 Certification and Successful First Launch


Oklahoma State University’s AIAA High-Power Rocketry Team has had a successful first launch!

Throughout last week, the paint job was completed and recovery system installed on the club’s rocket. During that time, I was also hard-pressed to complete assembly of the rocket I was using to attempt my Level 1 Certification. The majority of that rocket came together the Friday and Saturday leading up to Sunday’s launch date in Tulsa.

I ran into all kinds of problems with the kit I was using. The center of aerodynamic pressure was located far too close to the center of gravity (it is important for flight stability that the CG be one body-tube diameter forward of the CP), and the recommended solution here is to mix lead shot and epoxy and pour them into the nose cone. The problem was that I needed almost a pound of weight in the nose cone to make the rocket stable. It was a real pain just trying to get four ounces of lead and epoxy through the nosecone hole, and only about three and a half ounces actually made it to the nosecone tip. A friend suggested pouring a bunch of Gorilla Glue and shot together and shaking it all around so that the glue will expand overnight. Cut to the next morning, the day of the launch when I examine that handiwork, I hear the tinkling of tiny BBs inside the nosecone as all the gooey Gorilla Glue gave way to hundreds of loose shot pellets. Plan B involved salvaging another, longer 4” nosecone from an old kit lying around the lab which actually turned out to make the whole rocket more stable which was a nice surprise.

Another issue included the ten second delay grain which would be too short given the projected flight profile of this rocket on my intended motor. By winding masking tape around a 3/16” drill bit to create a depth stopper, I drilled into the delay grain just 3/32” to take off about three seconds of the delay so that during flight, the parachute would deploy seven seconds after launch rather than ten like usual.

Anyway, on Sunday morning sixteen members of our team showed up at the lab where we agreed to meet. In five vehicles, we all carpooled and headed out to Leonard, OK toting two large rockets, half a dozen motors, and lots of tools. Upon arrival, it was a beautiful day in the mid-seventies and light breezes in directions that didn’t include lots of trees.

The day’s turnout included hundreds of people, as well as a team of middle school students who prepared numerous small science experiments to launch inside a massive-diameter rocket flying on an M motor. The first launches went well and wind would not appear to be an issue on that day. As I prepared for my certification flight, the club’s prefect wouldn’t allow me to launch given that my CG and CP were still too close together. I was frustrated because this was the very issue I thought I’d resolved, but fortunately this time, I had the help of more than a dozen engineering students to assist me in finding a way to add weight to the front of the rocket. We began zip-tying wrenches and bolts to the nosecone, but even a pound of those still didn’t cut it. My former roommate had the solution: a 34mm impact socket he used for repairs on his truck. The thing weighed twenty ounces and once zip-tied to the nosecone, my problem appeared resolved, and I was good for launch.

Skipping through another hour of waiting in line, having my rocket inspected for the umpteenth time by officiating rocketeers, paying the launch fee, and waiting for countless other Estes rockets to be launched, I was able to get mine on the pad. I didn’t feel nearly as anxious as two months ago, but due to impatience, I just really wanted to get it over with.
Credit: Turner Action Shots
The flight went great. At a launch weight of six pounds, the short flight on an Aerotech H250G was nothing impressive, but it landed only a hundred feet behind the line of vehicles in soft soil: dirty, but without damage. It passed inspection, and the club’s prefect congratulated me on the certification as did the OSU team and several spectators along the way back to our work site.

Mach Wave I at liftoff via GoPro

Credit: Turner Action Shots
Credit: Turner Action Shots
My mother and sister happened to be coming to Oklahoma that day, and shortly after my certification flight, they arrived at the launch site as well. It was wonderful to see them again, and they got to see the flight of our club’s rocket as the sun began to sink near the horizon. It was critical that I achieve my Level 1 Certification beforehand because that would allow me to be the responsible flyer for our club’s rocket on a high-power motor.

The club’s rocket, It’s Trivial, also flew flawlessly. While not especially high in altitude (they also had to add weight to combat the same CG CP issue I had), it went great, and that flight will serve as the moral foundation for building (and flying) higher.  
It's Trivial on the launchpad

Anticipating Launch

The reasoning behind the naming of “It’s Trivial” is from the Compressible Fluid Flow professor whom many of us have for an instructor. He’ll finish an extensive derivation of Reynold’s Transport Theorem or something else and brush it off saying, “This is all very simple high school math, it’s trivial.” Additionally, since this was a kit build and not especially difficult to do, the trivial designation is appropriate. We hope to continue naming our rockets based on other professor’s sayings.
Click here for the link to OSU's AIAA Facebook page that has a really nice video with photos and clips highlighting our launch date! AIAA did a really nice job putting this one together.

We all had a wonderful time on Sunday, and we look forward to our launches in the future. Thank you for reading, and I can’t wait to share more of our progress soon!
Oklahoma State University AIAA High-Power Rocketry Team (not all pictured)





Comments